EXCLUSIVE: ACTOR DAVID HENRIE AND MARIA CAHILL ARE ENGAGED!
David looks so handsome with this Eight Field of Freedom total look! Would you like to know how he proposed? It involved a private helicopter, going off to an island, bringing Maria to a very special church… Read the interview to find out all the details!
EXCLUSIVE: ACTOR DAVID HENRIE AND MARIA CAHILL ARE ENGAGED!
My most sincere congratulations to this beautiful couple, David Henrie and Maria Cahill. And you know it! We will be waiting here for you to come back any time you want. How does the old saying go?: "Mi casa, su casa" The BLOG DE LOS ANGELES, your home.
When I met DAVID HENRIE a few years ago, he was already a superstar. Along with his then co-stars, Gregg Sulkin and Selena Gomez, his role on Disney’s Wizards of Waverly Place, made him internationally famous for a generation of kids around the world. It was well-known to their many fans than Selena and David had a teenager’s off-screen romance. With time, this transformed into a beautiful friendship that still endures. Time passed and David Henrie grew up. The time soon came to fly away from the nest of that hub of childrens talent called Disney, and become a part of Los Angeles’ hip Young Hollywood. His film roles include Grown Ups 2, Mall Cop 2, Little Boy… And this year, David will star as Ronald Reagan in an upcoming biopic of the former United States president.
In the midst of so many ventures, this prolific actor also produces and writes his own stories. His motivation? To inspire audiences with a message of love. His goal? To try and make this world a better place. That is how Catch, his critically acclaimed first short saw the light a couple years ago. I was lucky enough to attend the premiere at Sunset Plaza and it is a day I will never forget. Not only because it was such a beautiful movie, but also because of the many beers I had at the after party… Well, all jokes aside, there are few things as powerful as artists when they bring together their craft, heart and soul. The results are truly magical and the fruits of these seeds, beautifully unpredictable.
BUT, the reason why the main character of our story is showing up here today is to finally break the news we have all been dying to hear: David Henrie is getting married! Yes, he finally found his other half and she is fantastic! Her name is Maria Cahill and YES, they are formally engaged. The lucky couple is tying the knot in April and believe me when I tell you: these two glowing lovebirds couldn’t be happier or more in love. Now, it’s time for me to shut up already and let David break the news himself. Even better, let him tell us how he organized the AMAZING DAY when he surprised his sweet Maria with a ring in the most romantic way ever. NOTE TO DAVID’S FANS: Hold back those tears or keep a box of kleenex close by, because you will need it.
– David, how did you two meet?
– We met at an event where we were both speakers.
– Did you like Maria right away?
– Sure! She was so very well-spoken, so articulate and so beautiful! I got really nervous and when I’m nervous, I can be very awkward… I didn’t know how to make the right move and go talk to her, then I noticed she was feeling cold and that gave me an opportunity to give her my sweater, that was like my “in”–assures laughing-. I had to go sign some autographs and that was it! We left, parted ways, and I didn’t get to see her anymore… Later, I really needed to figure out how to get a hold of her. I remembered we had a mutual friend, so I texted him and said, “Hey! Can I get Maria’s number?” He answered: “You know she has a boyfriend, right?” She had a boyfriend! And I could not mess with that… So I thought it just was not meant to be. Two hours later, my friend called me: “Guess what! I was mistaken! They are not dating any more. Here’s her number”. I texted her right away and we started the funniest conversation EVER, back and forth and I thought, wow, she is clever, she is really funny, very witty, she has a sense of humor and most important, she gets mine too! We liked the same things, the same movies… I noticed we had a lot in common right off.
– And how did things develop?
– A couple weeks later, we were still texting. My aunt told me: “David, you should call her. Back in the days, we did not text, we spoke. Be a man and take the initiative! Just call her!” I thought, well, that’s a great point. I took a step and I face-timed her, so I could actually see her too. She picked up right away and we had a great conversation. She was living in New York at that time, and I knew I was flying there to an event soon, in about a month. So I told her I would invite her out then and there to join my friends, family and me for dinner.
– What were your feelings when you saw her for the first time in New York?
– I remember her walking into the restaurant… She wore a beautiful scarf, a big jacket… I was at the end of the table. I instantly got hit with a bunch of nervousness… There had been a lot of build up and I was going to finally see her and I didn’t know what was going to happen… I was very, very nervous. But the second we started talking, all the conversations we had had, all the familiarity came back and the humor was there immediately. She laughed at some of my jokes so… I was ok. I kept thinking how beautiful she was, her eyes are so captivating… All the things I hoped for were confirmed and then more… All arrows pointed towards ‘move forward’!
– What did you like about her the most?
– Once I asked her: “How do you see yourself in the future? What would you like to do for a living?” And she gave me a very powerful answer that really hit home with me and showed me how pure her heart is. She said, “You know? All I have ever wanted to do was be a mom”. And I told her, “Well, that is the most important job in the planet!”: I thought that was really sweet, because that is exactly what my mother wanted in life as well, and she is a great mother and I love her to death. Maria reminded me of that, that kind of love.
We have the same foundations, share the same beliefs, same morals; we both come from good, big families that taught us about unconditional love, about always loving each other. Maria comes from a family of seven brothers and sisters, as well as my Mom… Also, they taught us the importance of family; that family always comes first.
– Was there an “aha” moment? When you thought, oh boy, this is real, this is love, she is the one…?
– There were so many of them, like maybe… Every time I saw her?! -he says bursting out laughing-. She lived in Delaware, I lived in California, so the distance was kind of hard, that was the only thing bothering me in the back of my mind. Maria is a teacher, she was then teaching in Delaware. We didn’t know anything about it, but a friend of mine I had taken her resume to a school in California. One day, out of the blue, she gets a call and basically it says, “Hey! We want to hire you. Would you like to teach in California?” That was a big sign to me that it was totally providential. I thought then, wow, this is really good, this is really working, this was meant to be…
When she finally moved out here and I could finally spend every day with her, each time I saw her, my heart was like, yes, right on, yes, right on. What can I say! Every time I see her, I’m taken aback. And she knows, because every time I see her I give her such a hug, like I haven’t seen her in a year! – LOL
– Are you planning on having kids soon?
– God willing, yes.
– How many kids would you like to have?
– You know what they say, children are like flowers, you can’t have too many of them…
– How did you propose?
– How much time do you have? : )
And now is when he really breaks out his storytelling skills…
It was a BIG thing… I wanted to do something really special, something that would make everything pale in comparison to our entire relationship so far… Something we could look back on and that we both think, “WOW, that was amazing, right?” The dating process leading to a big finale… So I came up with a plan. I wanted it to be a big surprise, something she would never see coming… So here were the hurdles I had to face: it involved a private helicopter, going off to an island, bringing her to a very special church… It also involved getting her whole family from Delaware flown out, and most important: it all needed to be a complete surprise.
Step one. Since I had recently shot something in Catalina Island, she knew I had charted out a private helicopter to this island three weeks before the day I was planning to propose. The day after the helicopter, I texted her and a few more friends and I said: “Guys, guess what, I got the helicopter again! They gave it to me for an extra day! Let’s use it! I could pick this day or that day!”… Obviously, I had asked all my friends to play along… Maria wrote back right away: “Oh, no, I can’t go because I have school…”! So I called the school and I hired her substitute teacher and paid her twice as much as she would have got paid to teach the day we needed to get Maria out! That was the first hurdle.
Next step was booking the helicopter to fly to Catalina to have a day of fun just with her, and then flying back to the church, the mission at San Juan Capistrano where I wanted to propose. So I asked a friend of us to text her, asking her: “Hey! We are going to see this beautiful place, a landmark, this historical mission in San Juan Capistrano, you guys want to come?” She said, “That sounds great, but I have school!” At that point, she still didn’t know about her substitute teacher… But at least, both seeds where planted now in her head on that day: the helicopter to the island and the visit to the mission. As the day is approaching, I’m convincing her more and more, take school off, take school off! … Finally, she is willing to do it.
So now the day has come! Last thing left for me to do at this point, is to get the family that was coming with us out of the way… It is 6 am, and I know she is driving to my house, so I call her and say: “Hey, mmm, shoot!… Are you on your way already?… Oh well, that’s ok then, just keep coming, I will figure something out, just keep coming…” When she gets to my house, I said sadly: “Guess what, our friends can’t come, one of their kids is sick and they can’t make it, I’m sorry”… She said, “Well, that’s ok, we can still go, right?” I’m thinking to myself, Of course we are going! I have all of this thing planned out LOL, BUT I just said, “I guess so! We will go then”.
We flew to the island, we had the most amazing day: a beautiful lunch on the water, fly-boarding over the water together, where you fly really high over the ocean… It was simply an amazingly perfect day. Then I said: “Look! It seems our friends’ kid is getting better, they are going to see the mission, should we go?” Unbeknown to her, a few of my friends are there setting up, clearing off the chapel, clearing out all the way for me so I can get inside the church and do the proposal… So we get going to San Juan Capistrano!
Once we are there, I’m restlessly texting back and forth with my friends but suddenly my phone zaps out, completely zaps out! At this point I have no idea that there is a tourist bus with four hundred people visiting the church, all crowding the chapel. My friends are going crazy texting me, don´t come, don’t come, and then it is clear, it is clear! Maria is buying something at the gift shop and I’m stalled, because I can’t get a hold of these guys… Finally, the phone works again and I call my friend. Since I was next to her, I was obviously trying to sound ambiguous: “Hey guys, are you already there?” My friend says: “Come! Come here NOW! It´s clear! Come right away, NOW, immediately, run!” And I pretend they are late: “ok, oh, no problem, we will see you later then”… Just playing it cool. At the end of the line you can here: RUN, IT IS CLEAR NOW, NOW OR NEVER!”
I hung up and Maria had all these things in her hands that she is about to pay for, but I make her drop everything, I grab her wrist and say, we have to go now… I run with her to the chapel and the minute we were there, my heart started BEATING OUT OF MY CHEST, literally exploding out of my chest… The day went so smooth, so perfect, so easy that I almost forgot that I was proposing! And at that second, ALL HIT ME, like a brick, my hands started shaking… She had given me the previous year a very nice gift for my birthday. It was a picture in an envelope. In the envelope, she wrote a note on the outside that read, “your 26th Birthday could be the best day of your life but this was mine”… And inside the envelope was the drawing of her and I when we finally met in New York for the first time, so sweet. (One of our friends sharing our table gave it to her as a present and she gave it to me) … So I used the same envelope and put a big arrow in the back and wrote: You told me what the best day of your life was, now let me tell you about mine. She opened the envelope and my note was written at the back of the picture, my proposal letter. It described all the beautiful things about our relationship that led us to the happiest day of my life, October 7th of 2016, the day I get to propose to you…
She started sobbing. I had seen her crying in a video when she won Miss Delaware and it didn’t look like a happy cry, it was more “a punch in the gut” type of crying… She started crying like that! Thank God I had seen that video, otherwise I would have thought she was saying no, hahaha…
– Did it ever cross your mind she could say no?
– No, never, I would have bet every single cent in my bank account she was going to say yes…
– What were your thoughts while she was crying?
– Well, at one point I said, listen, I need a verbal response… You need to say yes! And she goes still crying- YEAH, YEAH! … So I brought the box out with the ring inside, but my hands were shaking so badly… I can’t even recall what happened, I was so nervous, but according to Maria I said, you need to put this ring on yourself, because if I do it, I might drop it! And she did.
– Mission accomplished! What a day! Well played, David! And her family, where were they at this point?
– We were twenty minutes away from where they were. So now I’m driving her to see her family, but she has no idea… so poor Maria ha ha, she starts frantically trying to call everyone to tell them the big news, we are engaged! She is dying to tell her family and nobody answered their phones! Of course, I advised them previously not to! So she keeps calling—Her parents, all her many brothers and sisters, she keeps going up the ladder of people to call, and nobody answers. I’m making it even worse, pretending to be as frustrated as she is: Shoot! I cannot believe that they are not picking up their phones! This is such a big moment for us! Why can’t they just answer! Sure enough, we walk to where we are going, we get into this room and my parents were there. She thought that was the last surprise for the day… Then I go, well, I have one last surprise for you… I opened up the door, and her mom and dad came out. She starts crying again and then I say, oops, I think I have one more surprise… I open the door again and all her brothers and sisters showed up…. It was unbelievable.
My most sincere congratulations to this beautiful couple, David Henrie and Maria Cahill. We wish you all the best. I hope God blesses you with a loving home full of children. And you know it! We will be waiting here for you to come back any time you want. How does that old saying go?: Mi casa, su casa. El Blog De Los Angeles, your home.
Wardrobe: EIGHT FIELD OF FREEDOM
Watch: Bell & Ross
Interview/Photos: Nunu for NUNUPICTURES
Hair: Angel Raul Ferravi
Translated by Caitlin Irwin
CATCH by David Henrie:
A special thanks to Jaime Hernandez.
© All materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law. No part of this work may be reproduced in whole or in part in any manner without the permission of the copyright owner. For further information, please email the editor at email@example.com No part of the materials available through www.blogdelosangeles.com site may be copied, reproduced or translated to any media, in whole or in part, without prior written consent of www.nunupictures.com Any reproduction of this content in any form without the permission of BLOG DE LOS ANGELES is prohibited. Thank you.